Finally got some more time to work on the M16 project. Still in the block out phase but making more progress. Thanks for looking!
I decided to create my rifle that I used in Iraq. Here is the progress on the block out so far. I'm limiting myself to about an hour work each day on it so I can focus on speed and triage of big shapes to small shapes. So far I've spent too much time noodling around on the Rail system. Time to move on to the rest of the rifle block out!
Nambu Type 14 High Poly, Maya to Dyna-mesh practice.
My two-cents: High Poly assembled with test lighting and base values, blocking out material separations from wood, plastic, and different types of value. Also using larger materials with out scratches. This lets an artist test big lighting shapes and evolve the render as the materials get more specific from substance painter.
Great Guide here: https://polycount.com/discussion/168610/3ds-max-zbrush-proboolean-dynamesh-hardsurface-workflow-tutorial